Profit is the thing every business is done for. If a transaction is done not for profit it is not business, rather it is something else. Knowing how to make profit before starting a business is very essential to success of business. The age-old techniques of maximizing sales and minimising costs are there, but is not working in the present world. There is a limit to maximizing revenue and a limit to cutting costs. Beyond a point they will cease to give the desired results. So what should we do? Well here are some secrets:
- Identify and nurture Key Clients – Every business will have some clients that give regular work and keep on giving more work. Concentrate on these key clients. Make processes which makes it easy to do delivery for them. This will help to improve your earnings and bring stability to cash inflow which eventually converts in profit.
- Start Consulting – Any business you are in you will have strengths. For instance if you are in online business and know how to manage social media, start a consultancy for social media management. It brings out the creativity and also will give you cash inflows.
- Network Continuously – In the past 5 years of my business I have got more clients from my known people(Networks) than by active marketing. So always meet new people and hone your networking skills. They are critical for success.
There are more secrets to making profit which I will be unveiling in the next post. Meanwhile just follow these, they are simple but sure ways of making profit.
When I talk to my clients about reading financial statements they will always say – Hey I do not understand numbers. I was not good at maths. So how do I understand financial statements? I too am not trained in Finance, but understand it.This is a myth that always is present. You do not need to be a maths expert to understand finance and financial statements. You just need to understand basic numbers. Now let us take an example to make it more clear.
Can you read the football score sheet in the adjacent picture? Well I believe you can. If you can read the score sheet of a soccer game you can well understand to read financial statements. It is so simple. The numbers we use in business are very basic. Almost everyone knows to count money and add and subtract. That is the maths we require nothing more.
If it is still not clear let us take another example. It is more financial in nature. Let us take a first look at a Balance Sheet. Can you read the numbers now on the Balance Sheet. You sure can. Only you will not be able to understand the terms. Well we will understand the terms in the Balance Sheet. Going slow will be the key to learning quick.
Finance is used in daily life. When we go out to buy Grocery we are making a transaction which is a financial transaction. Getting paid for the service we render or the product we sell is also a financial transaction. My endeavor will be to start with understanding some basic financial terms.
- Financial Transaction – We do many transactions in our life, and most of them involve money. The transaction which involves direct or indirect exchange of money is called financial transaction.
- Bottom Line – The net income is called bottom line in finance. Do not get confused by the terminology. I will be using this term very much in the coming posts. It simply means profit.
- Costs (Fixed and variable) – Every thing has a value attached to it. When this value is expressed in terms of money it is called cost. In business costs can be fixed( For one time) and variable (continuous). You can look at this example from Canadian electricity association to understand them.
- Equity and Debt – Equity means the money from investors. The investors will have share in the profit or loss. Debt is loan from individuals or financial institutions which carry a fixed interest.
- Resources – The things used to produce product or provide services. They are commonly known as land, labor and capital.
This was a brief on some very basic terms used in finance. We will continue with some more basic understanding about finance before plunging into serious stuff. Do not worry I will make it all simple.